2022-2023 Campus graduate – Senior Research Specialist
Our portfolio of products and solutions includes:
- Plastics: With new technology trends, our plastic additives can be experienced in many everyday items including vinyl, blow-molding bottles, film, rigid containers, PVC plastics, siding, decks and rails, foam pipes and profile formulations, window frames, and high-efficiency lubricants.
- Industrial intermediates: As the product of a reaction that is beneficial when used as a precursor chemical for another product, industrial intermediates can take on many shapes and forms. Ours are used in home comfort and appliance, building and construction, adhesives and lubricants, and more.
- Coatings: Whether it’s a water-based coating or solvent-based coating, a thin film is deposited on materials to enhance specific properties such as enhanced performance, durability, aesthetics, and sustainability.
- Silicone businesses: Our silicone-based materials can withstand more demanding applications, from those operating at extreme temperatures, to those under harsh environmental conditions for long periods of time.
Learn more about our partnerships, collaborations, and innovations on LinkedIn (@Dow) or Twitter (@DowNewsroom).
We make diversity and inclusion a priority—because sharing our perspectives and building on each other’s ideas will drive innovation. Could you imagine yourself in a place like this?
The Formulation, Automation & Materials Science organization in Core R&D has an opportunity for a Senior Research Specialist in the Materials Science & Processing organization. The successful candidate will provide technical solutions utilizing computation materials science skills to drive research in the areas of coatings, adhesives, sealants, elastomers, foams, films, parts, and other systems comprised of different material types including thermoplastics and thermosets. The preferred candidate will have expertise in soft materials science, physical properties, mechanics, material morphology, failure analysis, and associated modeling and data analysis. Further, experience applied to adhesive systems, thin films, composite matrices and the foaming of thermoplastic systems is a plus. The individual will be part of a global, multifunctional team of researchers who have responsibility for the development and application of new technology in modeling and simulation. The research projects will span across the spectrum of the commercialization process – from discovery or exploration to application development to process development to implementation or product launch. Other requirements include a strong focus on safety and IP creation and strong interpersonal skills.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct research on defined projects applying scientific principles, theory, and experiments.
- Lead projects – lead multidisciplinary team, define project goals, manage stakeholder communications, and ensure delivery of project milestones and objectives.
- Learn the tools, techniques, and methods necessary to complete specific projects.
- Resolve technology challenges through focused scientific methodology, multidisciplinary approaches, and innovative thinking.
- Combine data, experimental design, and modeling tools to build structure-process-property relationships to accelerate research.
- Develop new methodologies and modeling tools to simulate, characterize and optimize product and process development.
- Create and secure intellectual property.
- Communicate and document work as entries in electronic notebooks, technical reports, presentations, and publications.
- Evaluate market needs for new technology and product options.
- Collaborate across Core R&D and with business partners to identify and advance strategic R&D initiatives; identify and create new opportunities for technology development.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on multi-disciplinary project teams to provide solutions for well-defined research problems.
- Understand and follow policies regarding environment, health, and safety.
- Support employee recruiting, interviewing, and hiring.
- Develop an external presence through journal publications, patent applications, and patents.
- Keep current with technological developments through patent and technical literature.
- Ph.D. in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field.
- Literate in high-level computer programming languages (Python, MATLAB, R) with ideally some experience in either of the followings: C/C++, FORTRAN, DELPHI (Turbo Pascal)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You have a good working knowledge of English and Dutch is a plus
- Preferred Qualifications
- New graduates, those that expect to graduate by December 2023, and post-doctoral candidates can also apply
Expertise in one of the following areas of modeling/simulation:
- Molecular & Polymer miscibility; molecular & particle dynamics; polymer constitutive modeling; material structure-properties modeling; computational chemistry
- Trained in Data Science and/or Machine Learning techniques
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and responsive
- A robust total rewards program, including: competitive base pay, variable pay that rewards individual, team, and Company performance, and comprehensive benefits
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others