Graduate – Research Assignment Program
The Dow Chemical Company is looking for a campus graduate to join the Research Assignment Program (RAP). This program offers exciting opportunities to candidates (m/f) willing to accelerate their career development by leading challenging R&D projects in various industrial fields during a 21-month rotational program. As a new Dow employee, you will be based/hired in Seneffe (Belgium) – and will initiate the program in your home base location with a 9-month rotation, which will be followed by two 6-months rotations in other Dow groups and potentially other EU locations. Each phase of the program will give candidates the chance to:
- Lead and impact key innovation projects, aligned with Dow’s growth ambitions and creating value for the company
- Participate and support the development of innovative and sustainable materials
- Explore various Dow businesses/technologies/functions in different EU locations
- Build a robust network with Dow experts across functions and geographies that will benefit your career
- Nurture existing, and develop new skills & competencies via personalized trainings and a wide array of resources
At the end of the program, you will come back to your base location (Seneffe) in the PR&D organization as a Senior Research Specialist. This research engineer position is focused on new product commercialization and process technology development in support of the silicone emulsions, compounds and sealant products and process technologies. Polymer technologies could also be within area of responsibility per project needs. It is a high-growth area covering a broad range of silicone product for home and personal care, consumers and industrial applications. Core process technology involves blending and high viscosity compounding. Many of the specialty products in this area also require stringent quality control and special finishing or packaging. The candidate will support and/or lead multiple projects of variable duration with a focus on fundamental understanding, experimental investigation, practical technology scale-up, and implementation to manufacturing. The projects will be time driven and often involve working cross functionally with Product Development, TS&D, and Tech Center/M&E to develop customer-focused solutions. It is essential that the candidate understands all aspects of safety, including process safety, reactive chemicals, and industrial hygiene. Opportunities exist for role expansion and becoming a subject matter expert based on development of relevant expertise.
Our ambition is to become the most innovative, customer-centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world, so that we can achieve our purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow envisions a stronger future together through a more sustainable planet and society. Our team wants to reach its ambitious goals by valuing nature, advancing a circular economy, delivering breakthrough innovation, and developing safer materials and more. We help solve challenges related to affordable and efficient supply of food, suitable housing and high performing buildings, improved personal health and comfort, and advancements in emerging technologies such as electric vehicles and smart devices. Our investment in high-throughput research capabilities has continued to improve R&D productivity and has accelerated product, process, and application development. Dow’s scientists leverage these capabilities in close customer collaborations that benefit the world.
Attracting top talents is an essential enabler to achieve our goals!
Consider joining us if you:
- Are passionate about science and collaborating with fellow scientists as one team for superior results
- Are curious, creative, innovation driven and ready to challenge the status-quo to generate value creation and achieve growth for Dow
- Combine passion for process and manufacturing with a strong science background
- Want to experience multiple aspects of chemistry, engineering and materials-based research that are on the cutting edge of innovation
- Love to experience diversity in your work and to stretch yourself to develop new skills and competencies
- Are industrious, methodological, and strategic in setting priorities to maximize the chance of success of your projects
We are looking for:
- Recent graduates with a Ph.D. or post-Doc in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Polymer Science, or a strongly related field with less than 1 year of industry experience.
- An early career professional open to a position requiring geographical mobility at both national and international scale within the first 21 months of their career at Dow (essential requirement)
- The ideal candidate should:
- demonstrate excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills including time management, written and oral communication, self-direction and prioritization
- be fluent in English (mandatory).
- existing ability to speak French or willingness to learn is appreciated
- demonstrate aptitude to work independently and drive projects to completion
- be able to run and synthesize scientific literature searches
- show strong adaptability and motivation to work with others in a multicultural environment
- be experienced/interested in developing sustainable solutions and/or using digital/statistical tools to speed up the generation of technical solutions (appreciated)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day to not only deliver more value, but also have a more fulfilling career.
As part of our commitment to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is working in partnership with PeopleScout to deliver equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day, that enables them to not only deliver more value, but also enjoy a more fulfilling career.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company’s ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company, with a purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow’s portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer care. Dow operates 106 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $39 billion in 2020. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.